Gray Tennessee Funeral Home Gray TN
Founded by, Wright and Eula Johnson
Wright S. "Sonny" Johnson Funeral Assistant
David M. Hale Managing Funeral Director/Embalmer
A Brief History
Gray Funeral Home was established and opened for business on January 13, 1968 by, Wright and Eula Johnson. Originally constructed in 1927, the chapel was the home of Buffalo Ridge Baptist Church, which is often referred to as the first Baptist church in Tennessee and is acknowledge by most secular historians as Tennessee's first permanent church.
Mr. and Mrs. Johnson's appreciation of the love, the community expressed to the Johnsons and their children, was graciously reciprocated by providing space at the funeral home for start-up community services such as the Gray Fire Department, Gray Rescue Squad and a branch of the Washington County Library (The Gray Branch Library). During the early years the funeral home also operated a 24 Hour Ambulance Service and Transport Services.
Mr. Johnson passed away on July 7, 2002, Mrs. Johnson continued daily operations of the funeral home until her health didn't allow her. Mrs. Johnson passed on June 18, 2017. They are both missed daily.
The Johnson's desire to serve the families of our communities, in a time of need, with compassion, dignity and caring for the loved ones left behind is continuing to be fulfilled and honored by their children.
The son of Mr. Johnson , Wright S. "Sonny" Johnson, and the family continue daily operation of the funeral home.
Celebrating 50 years in January of 2018 Gray Funeral Home is proud to be a family owned and operated funeral home in Gray, Tennessee.
We greatly appreciate our communities and all that has been done for the family over the years. It has been a privilege to serve ALL families in the past and we would be honored to serve your family.